Selective carving is the technique used in the branch of dentistry to modify the occlusal face of the teeth involved in masticatory functionality. The objective is to improve the fit of the denture and achieve an ideal occlusion that allows the correct distribution of force.
In this sense, it is responsible for solving light malocclusions that do not involve slips or dental crosses. Therefore, it is usually indicated when an interruption that causes pain is generated or as a final part of orthodontic or prosthetic replacement methods.
If you want to know all about selective carving, keep reading!
- What Is Known As Selective Carving?
- What Factors Of Carving Influence Pulp Response?
- What Benefits Does Selective Carving Offer?
- What Techniques Are Applied In Selective Carving?
- When Is Selective Carving Indicated?
- When Is Selective Carving Performed?
- Ruiz De Gopegui Dental Clinic: Put Your Oral Health In The Best Hands
What Is Known As Selective Carving?
This type of carving is known as that technique by which it is possible to change the occlusal surfaces, eradicating possible obstructions and improving their contact pattern. Therefore, once it has been done, there can be no going back.
Its main objective is to ensure that the teeth are coupled in an ideal way, and the person can perform their basic functions without problem, making the process of chewing and its loads share the force exerted as it should.
What Factors Of Carving Influence Pulp Response?
There are certain physiological factors that influence the pulp response emitted when carrying out this technique. In this regard, the following should be highlighted:
- Depth of the cut
The importance of the cut is transcendental at the time of performing this method, since the amount of portion that is eradicated and how it will be done, will be key to its effectiveness.
- Cutting speed
The cutting speed must be as fast as possible as brushstrokes, because, the slower the carving is made, the more the turbine will vibrate and, therefore, cause greater aggression.
Pressure, heat and cooling
As for the pressure, it will have to be done minimally so as not to generate heat and always cool very well with water, heat is usually one of the worst factors for the tooth.
Due to the normal aging of the pulp chamber, the chances of success of this technique will decrease with advancing age. So the older the person, the smaller their size.
What Benefits Does Selective Carving Offer?
Selective carving is a dental method used to solve various dental problems, including:
- Facilitate the chewing and crushing of food.
- Prevent oral health problems.
- Optimize the bite before the placement of a dental prosthesis.
- Get the molars to adjust stably and simultaneously and make that contact have greater occlusal force.
- Make the laterality contacts of the anterior teeth occlude with the posterior ones.
- Distribute equally the pressure exerted by chewing among all the teeth.
- Prevent problems involved with thetemporomandibular joint.
- Obtain the appropriate occlusion before performing a recomposition or incrustation.
- Eradicate the damaged tooth part of a cavity to prevent future infections.
What Techniques Are Applied In Selective Carving?
Selective carving is usually implemented through two basic techniques:
It is based on wearing only the central area of the different positions and movements through:
- An eradication of premature contacts in the central sector.
- An adjustment in position and propulsive excursion.
- An adjustment in position and lateral excursions.
Jankelson – Glickman technique
It is based on wearing down only the downtown sector, when it is assumed that contacts in other positions and displacements tend to be physiological.
When Is Selective Carving Indicated?
Carving is specifically indicated for:
- Mouths with traumatic injuries, associated with chronic marginal periodontitis.
- When there is bruxism of occlusal cause, which can cause temporo-mandibular or muscular disorders.
- Prior to prosthodontics or after orthodontics.
- When it is necessary to improve occlusion in the general succession of the procedure and eradicate gingival inflammation.
It should be noted that any condition or pathology must be solved in time so that in the future it does not trigger or cause major problems. Therefore, we recommend that you go to each of your scheduled dental appointments or appointments.
When Is Selective Carving Performed?
It is usually done as long as it is required to modify the occlusal shape of the teeth, achieving a perfect and optimal fit with their opposites. In this aspect, the technique is implemented in the following cases:
With the existence of carious lesions it is essential to completely eradicate the affected dental portion to avoid future conditions, pathologies and / or infections. This method involves a subsequent dental restoration by means of composite.
In these orthodontic cases, it is usually implemented through selective polishing in order to completely ensure that the bite that has been obtained after the completion of the treatment is suitable.
Reconstructions and inlays
When the affected piece lacks a large portion of its dental composition, it will be necessary to subject the patient to a restoration or inlay to solve it.
However, it is recommended to apply this procedure only in the presence of partial fractures or for reasons of root canals that have requested a more powerful filing, covering a high volume of dental tissue.
- Placement of prostheses and/or crowns
Its objective is to achieve optimal jaw closure. However, for this to happen it is essential to level the way in which the pieces fit together, before proceeding with any type of dental prosthesis.
Ruiz De Gopegui Dental Clinic: Put Your Oral Health In The Best Hands
At the Ruiz de Gopegui Dental Clinic we will offer the best treatments, procedures and / or techniques through avant-garde technologies and state-of-the-art dentistry according to your needs, tastes and level of condition.
Our team of professionals in constant training will be responsible for providing the most optimal and accurate solution according to your case, or any condition that may influence your oral health.
If you want to know more about our dental services, or request a selective carving with some of our professionals, do not hesitate to visit us or request your first free consultation at the Dental Clinic in Madrid. We are waiting for you.