The lingual grid is known as that functional device that is used to combat the habit of specifically pushing the antero-superior teeth and improperly positioning the tongue, among otheraspects.
Its specific function is to fix the resting position of the tongue in the roof of the mouth to contribute to occlusion without impairing the eruption or alignment of the teeth.
These grids are welded to steel bands or crowns that are attached to the temporary or permanent molars, strategically positioned on the palate or behind the incisive papilla.
If you want to know the typology of lingual grids or know the care after the use of this lingual tool, I invite you to continue reading this post.
What Are The Types Of Tongue Grids?
There are two types of tongue grids. However, the choice of one or the other will depend on the severity of the habits that the patient has as their respective age.
Next, we explain what each of them consists of:
- Static lingual grid
The static lingual grid canbe applied in people who exercise bad habits in a highly pronounced way, which are complicated to handle and are attached to the bands used in multiple orthodontic and / or orthopedic cases, guided by the degree of affection and the requirements of the person.
- Removable tongue grid
The removable lingual grid is the one that is included to some extent to the acrylic plates and are made according to the dimensions of their arches, taking into account both the need and the degree of affection of the person.
How Are The Lingual Grids Placed?
Depending on the severity of the condition and the type of condition, the lingual grids can be positioned in three possible ways, only if it is a removable lingual grid. Let’s see it:
It is warranted when there is evidence of suction or lingual protrusion, which causes the tongue to adopt an inappropriate posture on the palate and generate a sliding effect towards the upper teeth.
It is applied in those people who suffer the same conditions of the previous case, differing in that the tongue is located and generates the same effect towards the lower teeth.
Its manufacture is specialized to provide the ideal closure of the occlusion when open bites are determined adjacent mode in conjunction with lingual interference.
What Is The Functionality Of The Tongue Grilles?
The lingual grids fulfill an infinity of functions for the oral cavity, among the most frequent are:
- Correction of the improper position of the tongue. Thiswill help the person to know where to place him suitably.
- Improves low lingual position in those treatments with three characteristics.
- It makes it impossible for the release and coercion of the finger to end up displacing and causing a misalignment of the teeth of both arches towards the lip area.
- It helps to correctly make the labial occlusion and, in turn, makes impossible the contact that is forged between the lingual tip and the lower labial area.
Recommendations For The Use Of Tongue Grid
If you use a tongue rack, you should avoid hard, very sweet or sticky foods, as well asany food that can damage your teeth or the tongue rack. Inmost situations, common sense will help you figure out which foods to avoid.
The type of food you eat exerts a great predominance over the appliances, as some meals can break or completely deform the wires or can peel off the grids, which would cause a huge delay in the procedure.
However, here are some tips that will help you cope with this lingual process:
- Avoid the consumption of sticky, sugary and / or starchy foods such as bread, rice, chewing gum and fruit or s secos, among others, as they can enter the grid and get stuck.
- Don’t use your teeth to tear food or other objects. Thiscan adversely damage the service life of the tongue grates.
- Don’t worry if you have difficulty pronouncing some words. Thiscomplexity will last approximately a few weeks, you can speed up the period of adaptation to the devices and improve phonation by dedicating a few minutes a day to read aloud.
- Opt for the consumption of soft foods such as cooked vegetables, fish, purees and soups, among others, until the tongue discomfort is reduced and you feel totally comfortable.
- It is preferable that when you eat you do not do it by taking large bites, but rather, try to break them into pieces. Inthis way, you will have the possibility of ingesting them without any problem and without damaging the grid.
- Prioritize oral hygiene to the maximum, since the agglomeration of meals can be retained in the wire of the grid and cause infections and / or oral affections.
Ruiz De Gopegui Dental Clinic: We Make The Best Lingual Grids
At the Ruiz de Gopegui Dental Clinic you will have at your disposal a team of highly qualified professionals who will be responsible for providing you with the best treatments, techniques and / or methods that best suit your needs and degree of condition.
In addition, we provide personalized services in the multiple areas of dentistry, such as pediatric dentistry, implantology, general dentistry, orthodontics and many more.
If you want to have more information about the use of tongue grate or what type is best for you, do not hesitate to contact us or request your first free visit at the Dental Clinic in Madrid.